Friday, September 12, 2014

Fall Semester Courses

Harvard Kennedy School (HKS) classes started last week. I finally decided my fall semester courses. My selection criteria for courses are that they (1) can only be taken at HKS, and (2) will broaden my perspective and knowledge. As for (1), I thought that microeconomics or statistics could be learned through web-based courses such as MIT Courseware, or could be studied independently. As for (2), I thought I needed to build my knowledge on American history, economics, and philosophy in order to actively be engaged in social activities in the U.S. Taking these criteria into account, here is my final selection of courses:

1 MLD224: A Behavioral Science of Negotiations
Professor Julia Minson once taught negotiations at Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania and has a reputation as a good teacher. There are several other courses on negotiations at HKS, such as a course by Professor Brian Mandel. Her approach, however, is unique: Professor Minson has a background in social psychology, so her classes put emphasis on emotional and psychological aspects of negotiations. Every week, I will do negotiation exercises with my partner, and we will review the strategy and results in the subsequent classes. One of my objectives in studying at HKS is to train my negotiation skills, so I would like to prepare well and learn as much as possible from this course.

2 ITF110: The Political Economy of Trade
Professor Robert Lawrence served as an economic adviser to President Bill Clinton. In the course, I will study the theoretical background of international trade, the structure of the WTO, and regional integration. There will also be WTO simulation exercises, which simulate trade negotiations with groups. Each group, made up of four students, will represent a different country in these trade negotiations.

3 IGA410: Energy Policy: Technologies, Systems, and Markets
Professor Henry Lee has a wealth of experience in teaching energy courses at Harvard. I will study oil and natural gas markets, nuclear power, renewable energy, and electricity markets. In the latter half of the course, we will do a case discussion on Japan's energy policy after the Fukushima nuclear accident. I don't have any experiences in studying energy issues in a structured manner, so I want to take this opportunity to study hard.

4 BGP100: The Business-Government Relationship in the United States
Professor Roger Porter served as executive secretary of the Cabinet Council on Economic Affairs in the Reagan administration. This course examines US business-government relationships and industry and trade policies, compared to those of other countries, including the EU, Japan, and China. This course will help me deepen my understanding of how political decision-making in the United States works.

5 MLD-352M: The Leadership System - Leaders, Followers, Context
HKS has more than 20 courses on leadership, but out of them, Professor Barbara Kellerman's approach to learning about leadership is most unique. She clearly says that the objective of this course is not to learn how to be leaders, but to examine followers who lack power, authority, or influence. She also prefers examining the context of leadership and followership we are in. We will look over several Western and Eastern philosophers, such as Confucius, Machiavelli, Locke, Mill, and so on. I am interested in how leadership and followership changed after the Fukushima calamity in Japan, and I will write a paper about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment