Saturday, August 9, 2014

A Cheerful Gathering with New Japanese Friends

Last night, I had a drink for the first time since I arrived in Boston. I was invited to the home of my Japanese friend who will start studying at the Harvard Business School (HBS) this month. Another guy who also will be a student of HBS joined us, and we had a conversation with each other. Since all of us are the same age, we had an animated conversation with each other. To my surprise, we talked together as long as six hours until well past midnight.

This was the first time I met people from HBS. I will confess that before I met them, I believed a stereotype about students at HBS and expected them to be snobby and arrogant. But my new friends reversed that image. They are gentle, good at talking and listening to what others say. They struck me as down-to-earth and well-balanced men.

One of the advantages of studying at the Kennedy School is that I have a wealth of opportunities to interact with other Japanese peers from professional schools in Harvard such as the Business School, Law School, School of Public Health, as well as MIT and Tufts University.

We share the peer identity that "we are the Japanese who study at Boston around the same time." If we lived in Tokyo, we would not have a chance to meet each other. We are now in Boston, and that makes us feel camaraderie--we are fellows and share the same struggles and similar goals. Living in Boston has brought me closer to other Japanese.

I would like to keep interacting with them actively. I hope we can continue to see each other and grow our friendship as we start our new journey in Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment