Monday, August 18, 2014

Learning English in Boston Life

The orientation week of HKS will start on August 25th, and after that I will probably be busy. Before the program starts, I made up my mind to study English hard and prepare for the rigorous academic environment in HKS. Since I arrived in Boston at the beginning of August, I have been studying English at a tutoring English school called Boston Life. The owner of the school is Japanese, and there are a lot of Japanese students, as well as Korean, Chinese, Indian and students from other countries. I am studying English four hours per day on weekdays with two teachers, both of which have great knowledge about English and current topics. Since it is a flexible one-on-one lesson, I can consult with my teacher and customize the content of the lessons to be whatever I want. From the experience, I strongly feel that the more I prepare for and actively get involved in class, the more I learn from the tutoring. On the other hand, if my preparation is not enough and I become passive in a class, I learn less. This sometimes happens when my heart isn't in it and I am not self-motivated. 
I believe that the key to effective learning is to motivate myself, to be proactive, and prepare well. I would like to apply this principle to HKS's academic life in order to maximize my learning curve.

Here is my study memo about newly learned words and expressions in last week's lessons:

<General words and expressions>
Stay on the sidelines means not to be engaged in something and just look at it from outside, as opposed to participating in it.
It was a pressure cooker means that I felt strong pressure in a severe environment.
He averages two homeruns in a week means that he usually hits homeruns two times a week. Average can be used as a verb.
Thrust means to stick out. An example sentence is that I thrusted my arms into the train.
A is no less ~ than B means that A and B are equally ~. An example sentence is that she is no less beautiful than her sister(=she and her sister are equally beautiful).
Fudge means to change important figures to deceive people. An example expression is fudge the data, fudge one's age.
In concert with means together with. An example sentence is that Britain has to pursue policies in concert with other EU members.
Simply put is an useful expression when you summarize the said arguments.
Focal point means the center of interest or activity.
Overshadow means to make others less important. An example sentence is American public mind is often overshadowed by short-term diplomacy.

<Words and expressions related to politics>
Stack the cards [deck] means arrange the cards in a dishonest way in order to achieve the result you want.
Wait for the dust to settle [let the dust settle] means wait for a situation to become clear or certain.
Vote with one's wallet means vote for someone that you think will help you have the most money
Not the sharpest tool in the shed[box] means not very intelligent or not able to learn things quickly.
On again, off again means happening or existing at some times and not at other times. Example sentences are the President's on again, off again attitude towards the issue. They have an on-again, off-again relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment