Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Learning English(John Legend and Harry Potter)

All of me by John Legend

In the tutoring session last week, I looked over a famous American pop song, All of me by John Legend, and the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. 

John Legend is a famous singer in America. This song is about a man's contradictory feeling about a woman. He says that even though she is capricious and not perfect, but he loves all of her, including rough and soft parts. He feels like he is always winning just because he is with her.

I learned a lot of words and phrases from this song:
(1) Your smart mouth is used to mean you are outspoken in a sarcastic way. 
(2) Drawing me in and you kicking me out indicates that she is capricious.
(3) You've got my head spinning means that you made me confused and I am overwhelmed.
(4) I can't pin you down means that I can't really make sense of you. Pin something down means to comprehend something exactly.
(5) I'm on your magical mystery ride, And I'm so dizzy, don't know what hit me means that he is entranced by her although she doesn't wear her heart on her sleeve. 
(6) My head's under water, but I'm breathing fine implies that he is just really overwhelmed but he is OK.
(7) I'm out of my mind means that I'm crazy. Thus, "You're crazy and I'm out of my mind" means both you and I are crazy.
(8) Love your curves and all your edges means that I love all of your rough parts and soft parts, including how you look. Curve is used to mean the physical soft lines of women. Edge means a sharp part. There is an expression, rough around the edges, which means not very polite or polished. 
(9) All your perfect imperfections means your flaws make you perfect to me. This kind of phrase is called an oxymoron, which combines two concepts that seem to be the opposite of each other.
(10) You're my end and my beginning means you're everything to me.
(11) Even when I lose I'm winning 'cause I give you all of me and you give me all of you means I'm winning because we are together.
(12) Even when you're crying you're beautiful too means even if you're imperfect, you're perfect.
(13) The world is beating you down, I'm around through every mood means that the world is not good to you and makes you tired, and I see how your mood changes.
(14) You're my downfall, you're my muse means that you're my weakness and you're my artistic inspiration. Muse is one of the nine goddesses who represented art or science in ancient Greek stories.
(15) My worst distraction, my rhythm and blues means that you distract me, but you help me create music.
(16) Cards on the table, we're both showing hearts means both you and I are showing everything we have, which makes us vulnerable.



Harry Potter

I read through the first Chapter of Harry Potter. I learned several new words and phrases:

(1) Rummage means to search for something by moving things around in a hurried way. There is an expression, a rummage sale, which is a sale of cheap used goods.
(2) Ruffled means agitated or flustered. It is also used to mean disheveled, and not really put together. The example expression is ruffling its feather.
(3) Flinch means to move your body away from someone.
(4) The owls are nothing next to the rumors means the owls are no big deal compared to the rumors. In other words, it means the owls are nothing compared to the rumors.
(5) You couldn't find two people who are less like us means they are least like us (=most different from us).
(6) Turn any boy's head means to totally overwhelm any boy.
(7) If the motorcycle was huge, it was nothing to the man sitting astride it means that the man was even more huge than the motorcycle.
(8) Swarming around means gathering and moving around.
(9) A tuft of hair means a small portion of hair.
(10) Professor McGonagall blinked furiously means she almost burst into tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment