Thursday, August 21, 2014

Love Runs Out, Roller Coaster and Harry Potter

In the tutoring session on Tuesday, I continued to learn English from American pop songs and from Harry Potter. I looked over two songs: Love Runs Out by Onerepublic and Roller Coaster by Luke Bryan. After looking over several songs in the previous lessons, I found that singers of American love songs used various metaphors to express their feelings. One thing I was surprised by was that they often use a drug metaphor to express that they are addicted to their lovers. It is interesting because in Japan, we rarely use drug metaphors. I think in Japan, we don't have much compassion to people using drugs. Three months ago, a famous Japanese singer was arrested because police detected that he had a long history of drug use. Some magazines looked back over some of his old lyrics and found out that there were several expressions implying his use of drugs. People, especially female fans, were really shocked at this finding because they did not expect that lyrics implied drug use and listened to music with innocent thought. This case shows that people in Japan are not used to lyrics implying the use of drugs. 
Here is my study memo of the last lesson.

1 Love Runs Out by Onerepublic

This song is about a man's determined feeling toward his lover.
(1) I'll be doin' this, if you had a doubt means I'll follow through in case you're doubting me.
(2) I'll be your fifty-thousand clapping like one means I'll be your whole crowd of people. In other words, it means I'll support and cheer for you.
(3) I got my mind made up, man, I can't let go means I am dedicated to following through and even if I want to stop, I can't.
(4) I'm killing every second means I'm taking every second.
(5) And we'll start a fire, and we'll shut it down means we'll start something revolutionary and we'll stop other things.
(6) A maniac means a crazy person, who sometimes believes things that are not true. Mania means a high energy level and impulse for something.
(7) Mestopheles is a name of a devil. Thus, got an angel on my shoulder, and Mestopheles implies that there's an angel on one of his shoulders and it whispers that you should do something good, and there's a devil on the other shoulder and it whispers to you that you should follow animalistic impulses.
(8) But mama raised me good, mama raised me right means I was taught to do the right things and I had a morally good upbringing.
(9) Devout means dedicated to following through with religious believe.
(10) Oh, we all run for something means we are all motivated by something to follow through. Combined with the phrase I'll be running 'til the love runs out, it indicates that I am motivated by love.



2 Roller Coaster by Luke Bryan

This song is about a man's regretful and sentimental feelings about his summer memories with his girlfriend.
(1) She had a cross around her neck implies that she has a religious background.
(2) With Bacardi on her lips implies that she drank rum. Bacardi is a kind of rum.
(3) And I was done means I developed feeling for her.
(4) And we spent that week wide open means we were open and honest with each other that week.
(5) Upside down beside the ocean means hanging out on the beach.
(6) Just tryin' to keep my heart on the tracks mean I was trying to keep my feelings in control.
(7) I should've known that kind of feelin' would last longer than that week did indicates that at first I thought this feeling was just a short-term feeling but actually it lasted longer than I thought and I became more serious.
(8) Blown away and barely breathin' means I was overwhelmed and didn't know how to react.
(9) Now she's got me twisted like an old beach roller coaster indicates that she got me turned around and my feelings were under her control.
(10) What I just can't get past is the way we let it end means I can't overcome the way we finished our relationship.
(11) She's like a song plyain' over and over means I can't stop thinking about her.



3 Harry Potter

(1) Piers and Dudley could only gibber indicates that they were so emotionally overwhelmed and confused that they talked nonsense words and freaked out.
(2) Strain his memory means to try hard to remember.
(3) They seemed to vanish the second Harry tried to get a closer look means they disappeared very quickly.
(4) Every single day is used to emphasize every day (never miss a day).
(5) Harry didn't trust himself to speak means Harry kept his mouth shut.
(6) His heart twanging like a giant elastic band implies that he felt an intense emotional feeling.
(7) Pacing up and down means walking back and forth repeatedly, implying he was nervous.
(8) Harry shuffled miserably off into the kitchen means Harry walked sadly into the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment